Last Updated on January 1, 2023 by Kevin Chen
Will MBR membrane freeze in cold weather? That is a question many people are asking, especially those who live in colder areas. The answer is: No. The MBR membrane will not easily freeze in cold weather. The probability of freezing is very small. As long as you take certain anti-freeze measures, you won’t have much problem.
How to Protect MBR Membrane Against Freezing?
- Keep valves warm at low temperatures.
- Regularly check the equipment to ensure safe operation in winter.
- The pipelines with water need to be anti-freeze, and heat preservation and heat tracing treatment should be carried out to ensure the medium’s fluidity. There should be no water inside when the pipelines are out of service.
How Does Temperature Affect MBR Membrane?
Under certain temperature ranges and pressure conditions, the membrane flux will increase slightly for every 1 ℃ increase. After MBR membrane operates for a long time or is polluted, the effect of temperature on membrane flux will become smaller. At low temperatures (5-10 °C), the membrane fouling rate tends to increase with the temperature decrease.
How Does Temperature Affect Effluent Water Quality?
The appropriate temperature (about 20 ℃) can promote the enzymatic reaction of microorganisms than the low temperature (5-10 ℃), and the physiological activity of microorganisms is more vigorous at 20 ℃ than at 5-10 ℃. Still, it does not affect the effluent COD level. When the temperature was lower than 20 ℃, the activity of microorganisms in the reactor was poor and nitrification was inhibited.
Although the biochemical tank has the ability to purify ammonia and organic matter under low temperatures, it wasn’t easy to achieve the ideal purification effect. This may be due to microorganisms’ slow growth and low biological activity under low-temperature conditions.
In addition, we can also try the technique of adding powdered activated carbon to the MBR tank. The high concentration of powdered activated carbon can provide a suitable living environment for microorganisms to resist the harsh external conditions of low temperatures.
Therefore, in the design of MBR membrane systems, consideration should be given to introducing heat sources during the low-temperature season in winter to maintain the temperature to maintain a high membrane flux and the activity of microorganisms in the mixture. The existing solutions commonly used measures are:
- Heat the sludge properly, including reflux sludge.
- Air preheating chamber on the side of the blower to preheat the cold air from -10 to -20°C in winter to 5-8°C.
- The walls of the aeration tank and the secondary sedimentation tank are insulated with foam insulation boards.
- Use hot steam to heat the sewage entering the aeration tank.
The above is information about the temperature MBR membrane. If you still have related questions about the membrane bioreactor, please feel free to contact SPERTA.
Shanghai SPERTA Environmental Technology Co., Ltd. has specialized in producing water treatment products for many years. The company has the core technology of producing MBR membrane components and has a high production capacity, aiming to build a high-quality brand of MBR production and sales all over the world. If you have any needs, please feel free to contact us.