Last Updated on July 24, 2022 by Kevin Chen
When we store the hollow fiber MBR membrane, it is necessary to keep the membrane elements hydrophilic. If it is dehydrated and dried, its performance will be significantly reduced. This article will introduce the storage methods of the hollow fiber MBR membranes in three different situations.
How to store the new MBR membrane?
- The new mbr membrane should be stored indoors and in a cool and dry place without direct sunlight. The indoor temperature range should be at -0℃~45℃.
- The MBR membrane stored in 1% SMBS standard protective solution will freeze below -4°C, so the temperature should not be too low.
- If it is not used for the time being, we should keep the components in the original packaging as much as possible. Generally speaking, if the indoor temperature is not lower than 45 ℃, it is necessary to check the growth of microorganisms inside the membrane element every 3 months. If the protective solution is cloudy, remove the packaging bag, re-immerse the MBR membrane element in the protective solution, take out after 1 hour, drain it, and then re-seal it.
- If there is no equipment for storage, the new hollow fiber MBR membrane element can be stored in the original protective liquid bag for up to 12 months. We should clean it before into used.
- The pH value of the mbr hollow fiber membrane preservation solution should be greater than 3. The pH value will decrease when sodium hydrogen sulfite is oxidized to sulfuric acid. SPERTA recommends that a sampling test should be carried out at least once every 3 months for membrane elements using sodium bisulfite as the preservation solution. We should renew the preservation solution when the pH is lower than 3.
How to store the used MBR membrane?
- We should clean the used hollow fiber MBR membrane before storage. Prevent pollutants on its surface, and use sodium bisulfite as a protective solution. And the protective liquid should be replaced regularly.
- In any case, we cannot leave the MBR membrane in a dry state.
- Before using it, we should remove the protective liquid and rinse it with the alkaline cleaning agent.
How to store the MBR membrane when the system is shut down？
- When the downtime does not exceed 7 days, we should operate the MBR membrane module within minutes every day and replace the water stored in the membrane element with fresh water.
- If the system is shut down for a long time, we should clean and disinfect the equipment thoroughly in advance. Then the membrane protective agent and bacteriostatic agent should be injected into the MBR module. And we should seal all the water inlets and outlets of the equipment. We can prepare the protective agent formula in the ratio of water: glycerin: sodium bisulfite = 79: 20: 1. The validity period of the protective agent is about one year.
- When the MBR membrane in the device is dehydrated, it will cause irreversible flux decay. Therefore, it is essential to keep the membrane element moist, and at the same time, pay attention to its antibacterial and anti-mildew treatment.
Precautions for storing the MBR membrane
- Arrange a special person to check the preservation of the membrane, and keep a good record of the preservation status.
- It is best to put a high shelf underground to prevent the ground from being too wet and soaking the carton or wooden case.
The above is the storage methods of hollow fiber MBR membranes. Usually, the clients often buy more membrane elements to store for later replacement. Therefore, it is very important to know the storage methods mentioned above for hollow fiber MBR membranes. You can contact us freely if you have other questions about the MBR membranes.
Shanghai SPERTA Environmental Technology Co., Ltd. has specialized in producing water treatment products for many years. The company has its own MBR membrane technology, a complete technical team, and pre-sales and after-sales service. If you have any needs, please feel free to contact us.